Monday 24 July 2017

Getting Through Tough Times

Hello, pretty people!
For anyone who's read my blog, I will apologise for the lack of posts this year. I've just been trying to think of something to talk about without it sounding like oversharing. But I think it needs to be addressed.

Back in October, I moved from my hometown of around 1,500 for a job to Adelaide, a city of around 1.1 million. It's not huge by city standards - only quarter the size of Sydney or Melbourne, but double the size of Canberra, Australia's capital. It wasn't just any job, but a super exciting job with a well-known Australian cosmetics company, Napoleon Perdis. I was so excited for this flashy new job and to have something new and exciting in my life while working my way up in my career as a makeup artist.



But a month later, it came crashing down when I lost my job. I'd seen it coming because my hours were dwindling and there was an uncomfortable presence with the (*cough, cough* FORMER!) state manager, a Russian (which is not to say all Russians are like this, but I found her personality to fit the stereotype). Let's call her Lada for example.

As it turns out, three people in managerial roles with this company left around the same time I did. One of them, was because she couldn't handle working with this manager any longer. I was talking to this one girl recently and she'd told me that when she said I'd done really well on the day I worked in her store, Lada* told her to stop making excuses for me. She also gave me a cold look when I walked past the store a few weeks later. Apparently, her job didn't last much longer either. And I've never been please before to hear of someone losing their job.

As you can imagine, this was the most difficult Christmas I'd ever experienced. It was my first one out of home and I had no money. The place I was living wasn't one you could decorate easily, whereas my mum, who loves organising functions, had turned our living room into a Christmas wonderland. To be fair, I really just had no motivation.



Fast forward eight months, one other short-lived job I got screwed over by (not even worth my time) and almost 200 more applications later, I'm unfortunately still unemployed, broke and have occasional bouts of mild depression and anxiety. I have had some really difficult days where I really just want to break down and cry and anxiety-wise driving in the city and even taking public transport after a certain time make me REALLY uncomfortable. I've even had a mild panic attack in the middle of a shopping centre. I did get through it unscathed thankfully.
But most of the time, I'm just bored out of my skull!

Thankfully, there have been some wonderful short-term fixes and one of them comes in the form of a Mr. Daniel Jonathan Stevens.

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley in "Downton Abbey"
Yeah. That guy. Or most famously recently, this guy:

Dan as the Beast in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"

in the motion capture suit his daughter dubbed "the crash-test hippo" suit.

The post-curse scene


Or even if you're into science fiction, superheroes or even the works of Noah Hawley,

Dan as David Haller in "Legion"
Because you know, not only is this man like, really attractive (I need to cool it. He's married with three children!) but he's insanely talented and has around 35 titles under his name in 13 years. And I'm working my way through them.

Couldn't help myself. Dan as David Collins in "The Guest"



Anyway, that's enough of this amazing actor!

June, however, had an amazing week (my 23rd birthday) and I was able spend time with some beautiful friends and see live and meet some people I'm truly inspired by.

Sierra Boggess is known for playing Fantine in "Les Mis" (West End), Miss Rosalie Mullins in "School of Rock" on Broadway but is most famous for playing Christine in the 25th Anniversary production of "Phantom of the Opera" and originating the role of Ariel in the Broadway production of  "The Little Mermaid" on Broadway. She had a divine voice and has been involved with many of my favourite stage shows. And she's REALLY pretty up close!



I'm gonna be surprised and a little pissed if people don't know who Hanson are. You know, that brother band from the 90s with that one annoying song? Well, guess what? There still going steady, still touring and I've seen them live three times. And on the third time, my beautiful friend, Beth (who has been wonderful to me during these hard times) and I got to meet them!
Isaac Hanson
Taylor Hanson
Zac Hanson



In this time, I've also kept busy with creative projects. Namely, writing a book. It keeps me busy, it keeps my mind active and I'm determined to get it published!

I think it's super important to keep up with what you're inspired by in tough times because they may only be a short term fix, but boy do they keep you happy.

I'm finishing here and remember, in tough times, please make sure you've got someone to talk to.

Have a wonderful day and stay classy, kids!
Tiarna Ellen
xx

*Photos of Dan Stevens are not mine. I found them all on Tumblr. All are screenshots, gifs or promo photos from "Downton Abbey", "Beauty and the Beast", "Legion", "The Guest" and "Have I Got News For You"*

2 comments:

  1. This is such good advice. Keeping busy is my way of dealing with depression, too. It keeps my mind off things and accomplishing something, even if it is small, makes me feel better. Thanks for your honest post about a touchy subject!

    ReplyDelete