Monday 18 January 2016

Honest "Les Misérables" Review

NOTE: I feel now the show is finished, I feel better about posting what could have been once spoilers, though I'm not sure if other productions are similar set and direction-wise, so, if so, whoops.

So, people that know me (including knowing me on the internet) would probably know that I have a musical theatre obsession, even moreso, a huge love for "Les Misérables" - some people may even say obsession for that too. I don't know, man,  I'm trying to keep my options open.

Anyway, it's been two days since the Australian tour closed and I was lucky enough to see it one more time last Sunday (a week before said closing date) and seeing as I've seen it twice and was able to compare the two a pick up on little things that I may have missed out on last time.

Unfortunately, the amazing Hayden Tee (Javert) was out with an injury - I personally saw him and he was walking with a limp. I was a little disappointed because having come from SA to see the show, I was really looking foward to seeing him performing again, so I was a little disappointed. As great as his understudy, Tamlyn Henderson was, the major thing I noticed, due to Javert aging throughout the show, is the strength and gruffness in his voice. He is 26 (according to the book) in the opening scene and dies at the age of 52. Tee's voice is incredibly strong at the beginning, yes, but throughout the show it deepens and gets gruffer as the character ages. I didn't notice this with Henderson. It was strong and gruff from the beginning and as great as his voice is. I didn't notice it evolving.

Simon Gleeson (Jean Valjean) has a brilliant voice. His "Bring Him Home" was incredible. Yet, I found that while his power-chesting vocals were brilliant, he struggles a little in the lower and softer notes and ad libs a little, especially at the beginning, I mean, the way he yelled, it showed the anger in his character, but I am quite used to hearing it done more traditionally. Maybe that's just the Gleeson spin.

Patrice Tipoki (Fantine), on the other hand, was absolutely flawless. Her "I Dreamed A Dream" is one of my favourites. Vocally, her "I dreamed a dream in time gone by" and "I dreamed that love would never die" had so much control in the held notes, well, let's just say, I was quite impressed!

Lara Mulcahy and Rodney Dobson - what a duo! I'd previously seen Trevor Ashley as Thénardier the first time round and I'm gonna be honest, I think Dobson is just that little bit funnier. While the Thénardiers are the antagonists of the story, they are truly the comic relief the show requires. Dobson is very cheeky in this role and a creepy when needed (the robbery and sewer scenes). Mulcahy was just hilarious the whole time, with everyone's favourites being "What the f***?!" as Valjean brings Little Cosette into the inn during the bargain scene and eating the cake at the wedding. Both gave the crowd a good laugh.


HIGHLIGHTS:

  • Daniel Belle's IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE (I hope my mum never reads this) voice in the opening solo in "Look Down".
  • Zoy Frangos' blind man and Naomi Livingston's pregnant lady in the "Master Of The House" scene
  • How quick and easy the sets move and how effective they are. This also goes for the backdrops (images that were painted by Victor Hugo himself). When they moved during "One Day More" and "Javert's Suicide", this just made it all the better. The most memorable set transitions being the buildings in the Paris street scenes (which included Valjean's home), the factory lights and the bridge coming from the ceiling during Javert's major songs, the courtroom in "Who Am I?", the large doors in "Look Down (Paris), "ABC Café/Red and Black" and "On My Own" and of course, the massive barricade.
  • One thing I did notice, in the scene where Valjean is released and looking for work on farms, a little boy drops a coin and Valjean steps on it, refusing to give it back, is a tiny detail I noticed that was directly from the book. The tiny little part I could be bothered reading. Another little part I picked out was when Éponine dies, Gavroche walks over to see her. Major fans of the story will know Gavroche and Éponine are actually brother and sister.
  • The vulgarity in "Lovely Ladies" was actually very entertaining.
  • "One Day More". Obviously.
  • Kerrie Anne Greenland's "On My Own." That's all I'm saying. Score one for SA!
  • Enjolras' body reveal. Then having Gavroche's lifeless little body join him on the wagon.
  • The transition from "Turning" to "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables" with the candles.
  • Marius' last drinks with his fallen friends. Especially Enjolras. 
  • The Thénardiers at the wedding. The whole audience claps along during "Beggars at the Feast".
  • Patrice Tipoki and Kerrie Anne Greenland's gorgeous harmony in the Epilogue. I also love how Éponine's ghost costume is just her act two costume but her coat has a train.
Aaaannyyywayy. that's enough of me fangirling about this production and cast that I love dearly. 
Have a wonderful day and stay classy, kids.
Little Ti out!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment